Friday, April 16, 2010

Wordsmithing

I found this assignment to be one of the more difficult ones, so I've been putting it off for awhile. In theory, it should be an easy assignment to simply make a few modifications on a "poem" of sorts, but I think that editing poetry is akin to a serious crime since you are changing someone's personal thoughts and experiences. Also, since this particular poem comes from the Rives poem, I can't bring myself to change too much since the Rives poem has that nice stream of consciousness quality to it.

So I just changed a few spots where commas were needed since I visualize the DI-Rives-poem as being read aloud just like the original, and commas are important to breathing and adding pauses for an audience to take it all in quickly. I also marked a few spots where I needed clarification or else had a question.

thank God! If you take a man's cookie he's got no cookie but if you copy it he might find it offensive, but you've got a cookie too.... Teach a man to copy a cookie and everybody gets to eat!


I liked this line- probably because one of my favorite quotes is similar - "Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, that way you have judged him, have his shoes, and are a mile away."

Anyway, I'm not really sure what further modifications could be made to this poem without telling DI that his poetic voice is wrong or that his experiences with the web didn't happen. I'll be interested to see what others think or want to add to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment