Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Attempting to Embed

Embedding is a lot easier than I thought it would be, if you are using the right sources. I embedded an audio clip, a youtube video, and a slideshow from my accounts on my web 2.0 portfolio page and was surprised that I was able to simply cut and paste and put my item right in my page. However, this wasn't achieved until after I realized that what I put in CMSimple using Internet Explorer simply wasn't viewable unless I switched over to Firefox. I'm not sure what would prevent IE from showing something that Firefox allows. Maybe I need to upgrade a browser or something, although I'm loathe to do that until my school finishes converting to Moodle since Firefox blocks files from being downloaded in Blackboard.

The other problem I encountered was that Chirbit doesn't really have a way to play embedded audio files. In trying to find a way to embed the chirbits, I did a google search on audio embedding and found this neat site that gave some specific things, like embedded players (my favorite was the Google Reader MP3 Player that seemed easy enough, but again, it wouldn't allow for me to link Chirbit to play into it. I ultimately had to settle on starting a Woices account since a few people had said that it gives an embedding code.






This was the ultimate result. As I was typing this post up, I found that embedding doesn't show up for Internet Explorer on blogger as well, so it looks like this isn't just a problem with CMSimple. I had to switch to Firefox to finish this posting.

In addition to embedding audio, I also embedded one of my videos from youtube



and I embedded some pictures from my Flickr account



Embedding is easy when the codes are given to you to just copy and paste into an edit html page on wherever you want to embed, but I think it would be much harder to do if I was trying to embed from a place that didn't provide the code. However, it seems like internet searches yield enough results from people who have found players that work to help embed, as I found when I searched for audio players. It seems like it is becoming pretty standard to provide an embedding code when something is uploaded now though. A lot of times, programs automatically embed links - I've found this to be true with Facebook and Google Buzz where just providing a URL as part of your post allows these programs to then post a small thumbnail sized version that shows what the link goes to. Maybe this is the direction that programs are going in that you don't even have to go through the hard part of copy and pasting an embedding code since the program is smart enough to do it for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment