Monday, March 22, 2010

Using Wordle in the classroom

Wordle: Gary Massenburg


Mondays are not my day. I'm buried behind a pile of papers that need to be graded, and I have a hard time really pulling together lecture notes for my one in-person class I teach. So today, rather than have my students write another short paper that I would have to grade, I let them play with Wordle.

For the assignment, I told them to write a one to two paragraph review of Alfred Hitchcock's Pyscho (a movie we watched last week). It was an assignment I was going to have them do for a daily grade anyway, but I decided to tweak it a bit and have them then copy and paste their reviews into Wordle.


Wordle: PYSCHO Wordle: Psycho Review

I had them post the links on a class discussion board and look at each others' Wordles. It was interesting to finally use Wordle in the classroom setting, and I think it went over very well. I've already passed along this particular activity to some other teachers who I thought might be able to incorporate it into a class with a little bit of time to kill. I'm very happy to be able to see and use a Web 2.0 in an actual educational capacity. It makes the connections seem a little more clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment