Sunday, February 21, 2010

Deliciously easy!

This evening I checked out Digg and del.icio.us. I setup a page on Digg since I was used to seen articles with a "Digg This" icon. I figured it must be pretty user friendly. I had a hard time figuring it out or really locating a getting started section in digg, so I switched over to del.icio.us. Delicious was a little more user-friendly, in my opinion. Right away, it gave me a bit of a lesson on how to use delicious and the option to download the toolbar. I went ahead and downloaded the tool bar, and wow! what an easy way to bookmark things.

One of my biggest problems has been organizing things I like to look at or pages I visit frequently. I can bookmark until the cows come home, but then I have to organize all these bookmarks in the tool bar. The nice thing about delicious was that I could just tag something and then it was sorted for me. Having the toolbar means I have ready accessed to my organized sites and articles, but I didn't have to do any of the work. The nice thing is that I can also access my bookmarks using my delicious account, which will be a real lifesaver since I tend to jump around on computers a lot and hate having to spend time looking up something that is bookmarked on one computer but not the other.

Delicious has also given me a chance to start bookmarking one of my newest obsessions...curling. I want to find out more about it and keep track of this sport, and now I think I might be able to a little more effectively. I read an article about it I was interested in yesterday, but I didn't want to necessarily save it to my own bookmarks, so delicious is a good way for me to mark an article I found interesting and then be able to come back to it later.

This will also give me the ability to manage some of the pages I come across and use or reference in my classes. I'll be able to sort articles and links a little quicker and by class. I'm really looking forward to using this particular application a little more.

My profile

1 comment:

  1. I signed up for Delicious not long after starting this class, and I love it to. I have told everyone I know about it. Digg looks pretty nifty, but just seemed too much to figure out. Might have to brave it out though and see what it can really do.

    ReplyDelete