Saturday, February 27, 2010

Getting started in Flickr

I had heard people on message boards and other places talk about using Flickr, but I've just sort of put off investigating any photo sharing sites since I usually use facebook to post any pictures that I want to put out there. I found Flickr to be very easy to use. I was able to use my yahoo account to connect to it and sign in, so that was a nice treat to not have to go through the process of creating another account that I have to wait for an email to show that I'm not a bot.

Within seconds of getting on Flickr and setting up my page, I was able to add pictures quickly and easily. There wasn't too bad of a wait getting my photo files uploaded (nothing like youtube's wait time on upload, which I will rehash in a bit), and I always like a picture program that asks me right away if I want to put titles, descriptions, and tags on a photo. The whole process of uploading about half a dozen photos and putting the proper information on them took less than ten minutes.

Now that I have photos in Flickr, I have the ability to look at them on whatever computer I'm on or even put them into a slideshow - a nice feature when I've returned from a vacation and am showing off photos by connecting my laptop to the tv. Since Flickr is a photo sharing, I suppose that people will now be able to search and find the picture of my husband eating chocolate bacon (although I don't know why they would want to).

My biggest concern, as I go along in creating these accounts, is that it seems like eventually someone could put the pieces together and find me. Since my accounts are somewhat connected and I try to use similar usernames across the board to make it easier on me, it seems like someone could use this information to find out where I live, what I do, and now what I look and sound like. That's kind of scary since I've always been happy to be somewhat invisible on the internet, hidden behind protected sites. Just something that I've been thinking about and maybe a cause for me to switch up my usernames a bit or not have things that reveal too much about me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, you might be interested in these videos. They actually deal with some of the issues you are talking about...

    Getting started in FLickr: http://online.cofa.unsw.edu.au/learning-to-teach-online/ltto-episodes?view=video&video=169

    Using Flickr as an online classroom: http://online.cofa.unsw.edu.au/learning-to-teach-online/ltto-episodes?view=video&video=163

    ReplyDelete